Amid growing reports of hacking and online scams, reporter Georgia Forrester chats to experts about which scams are hurting people the most, what to look out for, and how to keep safe online.
In the past few months, New Zealanders have lost more than $5.3 million to scammers.
Netsafe’s new quarterly report shows that although there has been a decrease in overall scam reports, the amount of money lost has increased by 21.3 per cent.
According to the online safety organisation the average loss in the past quarter was more than $6400 – an increase of 50 per cent.
* Scammers using online Steam gift cards prompts warning
* Waikato DHB ransomware attack: Half of servers restored in past four days
* 350 cyber attacks on NZ in last year, a third by state-sponsored exploitation groups
* Online trading scams prompt caution from police
* NetSafe reports ‘drastic’ jump in online fraud losses
* Scam victims out of pocket to tune of…